There will be a Council Meeting held Tuesday, October 12, 2016 at City Hall. October 12, 2016 – See Agenda
Welcome to Blackshear!
We are a community of friendly folks and good neighbors who are never too busy to stop, shake hands, and visit awhile.
We are a community focused on progress while honoring our past.
We are a community of 3,300 hard-working citizens who value quality of life and appreciate our Southeast Georgia climate and abundant natural resources.
We are a Georgia Classic Main Street City!
Whether you are visitor or a life-long resident, you will enjoy these notable features:
- two magnificent structures that anchor our downtown; the award-winning historic courthouse and the newly renovated Presbyterial Institute
- state-of-the-art and aesthetically pleasing library facility
- extensive downtown streetscape improvements
- award-winning sixty room hotel located in the heart of downtown
- public schools which are widely recognized by the state for excellence in education
- two locally owned and operated newspapers covering the city and county happenings
- good selection of telephone, internet, and cable services
- choice of over twenty-five established places of worship
- historic area featuring beautiful architecture, nationally registered structures, and intriguing stories
- great selection of antique malls making us an antiquer’s paradise
- city park perfect for family outings, community events, and leisurely strolls
- award-winning Geocaching Challenge
- Camp Blackshear; a Civil War prison camp on the outskirts of town
- quaint downtown shopping and dining with friendly service and unique selections
- high-quality daycare and pre-school services
- active recreation department and award-winning sports team
- nearby Satilla and Altamaha Rivers perfect for fishing, swimming, boating, and kayaking
Additional shopping, dining, two colleges, and the Mayor Clinic Health System are a fifteen minute drive from downtown. Blackshear is the county seat for Pierce County which is sixty percent forest land and offers excellent hunting and fishing opportunities. The Okefenokee Wildlife Refuge and the Georgia coast are a short drive away and make great day trips for tourists and residents.
On behalf of the City Council, the Main Street Program, and the citizens of Blackshear, welcome to our community!
Dick Larson, Mayor