The City of Blackshear City Council does hereby announce that the millage rate will be set at a meeting to be held at the Blackshear City Hall on August 17th at 4:00pm and pursuant to the requirements of O.C.G.A. Section 48-5-32 does hereby publish the following presentation of the current year’s tax digest and levy, along with the history of the tax digest and levy for the past five years.
CURRENT 2016 TAX DIGEST AND 5 YEAR HISTORY OF LEVY
|CITY OF BLACKSHEAR||2011||2012||2013||2014||2015||2016|
|Real & Personal||70,292,034||83,072,520||79,843,382||80,687,028||87,823,493||89,649,112|
|Timber – 100%|
|Heavy Duty Equipment||76,480|
|Less M&O Exemptions||1,781,971||4,992,778||3,251,384||3,194,479||3,688,503||3,828,954|
|Net M&O Digest||74,889,167||84,376,993||83,938,070||82,543,324||87,813,681||88,746,948|
|State Forest Land Assistance Grand Value|
|Adjusted Net M&O Digest||74,889,167||84,376,993||82,938,070||82,543,324||87,813,681||88,746,948|
|Gross M&O Millage||19.75||19.560||17.200||16.674||16.524||16.570|
|Net M&O Digest||12.400||11.990||11.990||11.990||11.990||11.990|
|Total City Taxes Levied||$928,626||$1,011,680||$994,427||$989,694||$1,052,886||$1,064,076|
|Net Taxes $ Increase||$83,054||-$17,253||-$4,733||$63,192||$11,190|
|Net Taxes % Increase||8.94%||-1.71%||-0.48%||6.38%||1.06%|
Welcome to Blackshear!
We are a community of friendly folks and good neighbors who are never too busy to stop, shake hands, and visit awhile.
We are a community focused on progress while honoring our past.
We are a community of 3,300 hard-working citizens who value quality of life and appreciate our Southeast Georgia climate and abundant natural resources.
We are a Georgia Classic Main Street City!
Whether you are visitor or a life-long resident, you will enjoy these notable features:
- two magnificent structures that anchor our downtown; the award-winning historic courthouse and the newly renovated Presbyterial Institute
- state-of-the-art and aesthetically pleasing library facility
- extensive downtown streetscape improvements
- award-winning sixty room hotel located in the heart of downtown
- public schools which are widely recognized by the state for excellence in education
- two locally owned and operated newspapers covering the city and county happenings
- good selection of telephone, internet, and cable services
- choice of over twenty-five established places of worship
- historic area featuring beautiful architecture, nationally registered structures, and intriguing stories
- great selection of antique malls making us an antiquer’s paradise
- city park perfect for family outings, community events, and leisurely strolls
- award-winning Geocaching Challenge
- Camp Blackshear; a Civil War prison camp on the outskirts of town
- quaint downtown shopping and dining with friendly service and unique selections
- high-quality daycare and pre-school services
- active recreation department and award-winning sports team
- nearby Satilla and Altamaha Rivers perfect for fishing, swimming, boating, and kayaking
Additional shopping, dining, two colleges, and the Mayor Clinic Health System are a fifteen minute drive from downtown. Blackshear is the county seat for Pierce County which is sixty percent forest land and offers excellent hunting and fishing opportunities. The Okefenokee Wildlife Refuge and the Georgia coast are a short drive away and make great day trips for tourists and residents.
On behalf of the City Council, the Main Street Program, and the citizens of Blackshear, welcome to our community!
Dick Larson, Mayor